Time passes really quickly and it’s almost a month since H and I got together (: have been thinking about what would be a great one month’s present for him and thought that making him two types of fruit curd would be a brilliant idea. Wanted to have lovely jars for the curds but didn’t have time to look for them – ended up settling for nice little round containers that I was sure would definitely seal well. Just gotta settle for second best :\
So today I decided it would be great to trial run the lemon curd – leaving it up to fate the day before obviously doesn’t work out because I’m not a gifted cook and baker like H is. I tried my best with the lemon curd today and it actually tastes pretty intense – hopefully he will like it! Think the lemons I got today were a little more sour than usual today and again, uncannily, the curd reminds me of pineapple ;)
Surprisingly, lemon curd is really easy to make and Gordon Ramsay was obviously a godsend and saviour once again –
- 200g sugar *
- 3 eggs
- 2 lemons (for lemon juice and lemon zest)
- 85g unsalted butter *
For the two items *
I used more sugar as the lemon juice was slightly too sour. I added about 10g more of butter as well but 85g is the original stated amount on the recipe!
- Grate the lemon for lemon zest and squeeze for juice.
- Put all the ingredients in the order of ingredients (sugar, then eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, and unsalted butter) and cook over low heat.
- Keep whisking the mixture until the mixture thickens. This should take around 15 minutes but only stop when you reach step 4!
- The mixture is sufficiently thick when it is able to coat your spoon / whisk / whatever you are using for your stirring.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Cover the curd with cling wrap and place the cling wrap over the top of the lemon curd so that a skin does not form. You may want to leave it out to cool in the open first as it can be really quite hot.
- Pop it into the fridge and refridgerate! And that’s it :))
It turned out to be really simple but I had to be really really patient with my lemon curd as there was much more moisture than there should have been (more lemon juice than expected, I suppose) and I had to take some extra time to boil off the excess moisture. Just popped it into the refridgerator and can’t wait to see how it will turn out :) Got a little too excited squeezing the lemon juice so now my right hand hurts HAHAHA I’m such a loser sometimes
Now I have to work really hard to keep this a secret and not post this on instagram HAHAHAHA
After this, MANGO CURDDDDD